A sentence has been given in direct speech. Out of the three suggested alternatives select the one which best expresses the same sentence in indirect speech.
1. James asked me ‘Did you see John yesterday?’
2. Susan said to Alice ‘Ann will leave for her native place tomorrow.’
3. He said to me ‘Why are you working so hard?’
4. She told me ‘What a hot day!’
5. The boy said to the teacher ‘Could you please repeat the question?’
1. James asked me whether I had seen John the previous day.
2. Susan told Alice that Ann would leave for her native place the next day.
3. He asked me why I was working so hard.
4. She exclaimed that it was a hot day.
5. The boy politely asked the teacher if he could repeat the question.