Generally speaking, English sentences are of three types: simple sentence, complex sentence and compound sentence. A simple sentence consists of just one clause. A complex sentence is made up of one main (independent) clause and one or more subordinate clauses. A compound sentence is made up of two or more main clauses. There is yet another variety called compound-complex, but this kind of sentence is relatively rare.
Identify the kind of sentences.
1. Their front door was open but nobody was inside.
2. The coffee machine that I bought for my wife was not expensive.
3. She is the most beautiful girl that I have ever seen.
4. I am tired of listening to advice.
5. She was punished for lying.
6. John’s mother asked me if I knew where he was.
7. I was pleasantly surprised when she told me that she was my fan.
8. My mother has wealth, fame, rank and power.
9. She was not very beautiful yet she was the most popular girl in my class.
1. Compound sentence
2. Complex sentence
3. Complex sentence
4. Simple sentence
5. Simple sentence
6. Complex sentence
7. Complex sentence
8. Simple sentence
9. Compound sentence
10. Compound sentence