Read the following sentences and from the given options choose the one that means the same as the underlined word.
1. Who was the dunce that left the door open?
c) careless fellow
2. He dwells in the country during most of the year.
3. Our food supply dwindled when we were lost in the woods.
a) turned stale
4. The old eccentric woman left a fortune to her pet cat.
a) strange woman
b) kind woman
c) generous woman
d) stupid woman
5. Major decisions were made in the higher echelons of the company.
6. The church has played an important role in the edification of the young.
c) moral improvement
7. She was famous for her ethereal beauty.
8. The stranger evaded all questions about his past.
9. Russia exiled Alexander Solzhenitsyn for writing political novels.
10. That restaurant charges exorbitant prices.
1. dunce = idiot
2. dwells = lives
3. dwindled = diminished
5. echelons = level
6. edification = moral improvement
7. ethereal = celestial
8. evaded = avoided
9. exiled = banished
10. exorbitant = excessive