Rewrite the following sentences by using ‘less’ or ‘least‘ without changing the meaning.
1. The mango is sweeter than the apple.
2. Iron is more useful than copper.
3. Gold is more precious than silver.
4. This is the most useless of my gadgets.
5. Platinum is one of the rarest minerals.
6. The wild-apple is the sourest of all fruits.
7. You are uglier than the baby.
8. I have got more energy than I used to have.
1. The apple is less sweet than the mango. (NOT The apple is less sweeter than the mango.)
2. Copper is less useful than iron.
3. Silver is less precious than gold.
4. This is the least useful of my gadgets.
5. Platinum is one of the least common minerals.
6. All other fruits are less sour than the wild apple.
7. The baby is less ugly than you.
8. I used to have less energy than I have got now.
Less and least are used to talk about inequality by focusing on the ‘lower’ end of the cycle. Less is the comparative form. It is followed by than. Least is the superlative form.