A sentence has been given in direct speech. Out of the four alternatives, select the one which best expresses the same sentence in indirect speech.
1. Rahul asked me, ‘Did you see the cricket match on TV last night?’
2. James said to his mother, ‘I am leaving for New York tomorrow.’
3. I said to him, ‘Why don’t you work hard?’
4. He said to her, ‘What a hot day!’
5. The priest said, ‘Be quiet and listen to my words.’
1. a) Rahul asked me if I had seen the cricket match on TV the previous night.
2. c) James told his mother that he was leaving for New York the next day.
3. b) I asked him why he didn’t work hard.
4. c) He exclaimed that it was a hot day.
5. c) The priest urged them to be quiet and to listen to his words.