State whether the given group of words is a phrase or clause.
1. because of his health problems
A clause must have a finite verb in it.
2. though he was ill
There is a finite verb (was) here - hence, it is a clause.
3. as you are my friend
There is a finite verb here - are
4. once upon a time
5. a few months ago
6. once in a while
7. as soon as he arrived
Arrived is a finite verb. Hence, this is a clause.
8. if you are in a hurry
9. a well-known writer
10. despite working hard
11. after working hard for years
12. even if you forbid me
- because of his health problems (phrase)
- though he was ill (clause)
- as you are my friend (clause)
- once upon a time (phrase)
- a few months ago (phrase)
- once in a while (phrase)
- as soon as he arrived (clause)
- if you are in a hurry (clause)
- a well-known writer (phrase)
- despite working hard (phrase)
- after working hard for years (phrase)
- even if you forbid me (clause)