The same idea can be expressed using positive, comparative and superlative adjectives.
For example, all of the three sentences given below mean the same.
Supriya is the smartest girl in the class.
No other girl in the class is as smart as Supriya.
Supriya is smarter than any other girl in the class.
Rewrite the sentences given below using different degrees of comparison.
1. Shakespeare is the most famous of all writers in English.
2. Iron is more useful than any other metal.
3. I earn as much money as Ram.
4. China is larger than India.
5. Greenland is the largest island in the world.
6. Air is lighter than water.
7. I am taller than my brother.
8. Shyam is the strongest boy in the class.
1. No other writer in English is as famous as Shakespeare. / Shakespeare is greater than any other writer in English.
2. No other metal is as useful as iron. / Iron is the most useful of all metals.
3. Ram does not earn more money than I do.
4. India is not as large as China.
5. Greenland is larger than any other island in the world. / No other island in the world is as large as Greenland.
6. Water is not as light as air.
7. My brother is not as tall as I am.
8. Shyam is stronger than any other boy in the class. / No other boy in the class is as strong as Shyam.