The words too…to have a negative meaning. It means ‘more than is necessary or desirable’.
Study the following sentences.
- He was very nervous. He could not perform well on the stage.
- He was too nervous to perform well on the stage.
- I was very busy. I could not talk to her.
- I was too busy to talk to her.
- The task was very difficult. I could not do it without help.
- The task was too difficult to do without help.
- It was very hot. We did not want to go out.
- It was too hot to go out.
Combine the following sentences using too…to.
1. The place was very noisy. I couldn’t hear anything properly.
2. He earns very little. He cannot keep his family in comfort.
3. I know him very well. I don’t like him.
4. She was very anxious about her husband. She could not think about anything else.
5. She is very clumsy. She cannot handle glassware carefully.
1. The place was too noisy to hear anything properly.
2. He earns too little to keep his family in comfort.
3. I know him too well to like him.
4. She was too anxious about her husband to think about anything else.
5. She is too clumsy to handle glassware carefully.